I develop on a MacBook Pro with Retina display and use a VMware Fusion OS X guest virtual machines for testing purposes. Unfortunately, configuring a guest VM with Retina support is not straightforward. Here’s the solution I used and now my guest VM looks as great as my host OS. Follow these instructions to enable HiDPI mode in your OS X guest VM:
- Install the VMware Tools by selecting Virtual Machine → Install VMware Tools in the menubar. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Use full resolution for Retina displayin VMware Fusion’s Settings → Display preferences panel.
- Run this command in Terminal on your OS X guest VM and enter your password when requested:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true
- Log out of your OS X guest VM and then re-login.
- Resize your OS X guest VM window to your preferred dimensions.
- In System Preferences → Displays, set the resolution to Scaled and then select the HiDPI setting.
Note: If you resize your guest VM, it will revert to the non-HiDPI resolution. Simply re-select the HiDPI resolution in the System Preferences → Displays preferences panel.